Instant pot Mexican chicken is juicy and tender, with the perfect amount of spice. It is an effortlessly delicious dish!
Mexican chicken in an instant pot comes out tender every time. It is seasoned to perfection. Try this chicken alongside Refried Beans or Mexican Black Beans, or in my tasty Chicken Tortilla Casserole.
Oh So Easy
Mexican chicken made in an instant pot is not only effortlessly easy, but full of flavor! You can easily adjust the spice level to your liking. The cilantro garnish adds a hint of freshness to the dish and another layer of flavor.
I love how tender and juicy this chicken is, the salsa helps with that juicy-ness and gives it much of it’s seasoning. It is important to choose a good-tasting salsa that you love!
This shredded chicken can be used as a main dish or in a variety of dishes such as Creamy Chicken Enchiladas.
Just Cook & Shred!
PREP. Set the rack in the Instant pot and place the chicken breast halves on top.
SEASON. Sprinkle the chicken with the taco mix, cumin and chili powder. Evenly pour the salsa and broth over the chicken.
COOK. Place the lid in the lock position and be sure the pressure valve is in place. Select the poultry setting and set the timer for 15 minutes. Once the timer is done allow the pressure to release naturally for about 20 minutes. Be sure the chicken is cooked to an internal temp of 165°F
SHRED & SERVE. Shred or chop the chicken and serve with rice or tortillas.
Tips + Tricks
- Adjust the spice level by using a mild salsa and add more liquid to dilute the spice. If you want more spice than you can use a spicier salsa, or add in a few splashes of hot sauce.
- If you don’t have access to chicken breasts you can easily use boneless and skinless chicken thighs. It will be more flavorful than using chicken breasts!
- Use red or green salsas: whichever kind you prefer more. Because of the cooking method you probably don’t want to use an avocado-based salsa.
The best was to shred chicken is to use two forks or even a hand mixer. The hand mixer makes it super simple and quick to shred the chicken.
Try adding this chicken in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and salads. There are a lot of great ways to use and re-use this chicken.
Store + Freeze
STORE leftover salsa chicken in an airtight bag or container for about a week.
After shredding the chicken place it into an airtight bag and FREEZE for 2-6 months. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge and then REHEAT in the microwave or in the crockpot.
Recipes similar to Salsa Chicken:
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Recipe
- 1 lb frozen boneless skinless chicken breast halves - (about 4-5 halves)
- 1 (1 oz) packet taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 c low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 c salsa
- Set the rack in the Instant pot and place the chicken breast halves on top.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the taco mix, cumin and chili powder.
- Evenly pour the salsa and broth over the chicken.
- Place the lid in the lock position and be sure the pressure valve is in place. Select the poultry setting and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- Once the timer is done allow the pressure to release naturally for about 20 minutes. Be sure the chicken is cooked to an internal temp of 165°F
- Shred or chop the chicken and serve with rice or tortillas.
This instant pot Mexican chicken is so juicy and tender and SO EASY to make!
Thanks so much for sharing! I’m so happy you liked it!
Love the spices! This will be great for tacos, burritos, inside quesadillas, the list goes on & on!!
Every recipe you share I love. This was no different. Great flavor and easy to make.
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I love it when easy and delicious go together. 🙂