These no bake peanut butter bars taste just like peanut butter cups!! They are so simple to make and are simply decadent.
Really, they are so simple to throw together and only require a handful of ingredients. The hardest part is waiting for them to chill in the fridge! For more “no-bakes” check out: No Bake Peanut Butter Pie, No Bake Vanilla Bean Cheesecake Bars, and No Bake Rocky Road Bars.
PB + Chocolate = The Perfect Combo!
It really is. Peanut butter and chocolate is such a classic and tasty combo. It is so decadent and rich and it is my hubbies favorite for sure!
These peanut butter bars taste just like peanut butter cups but with a bit more peanut butter to chocolate ratio, and I’m not even upset about it.
I prefer to sink my teeth into these tasty morsels when they are at room temperature. I love how the flavors just sing. But really, if you can’t wait for them to warm up, straight out of the fridge is pretty spectacular as well!!
Peanut Butter FAQ
Everyone always wants to know if they can change up the peanut butter. Hopefully this FAQ sections helps with those inquiries.
- Can you use other nut butters? While using other nut butters would be an easy switch it isn’t recommended simply because of the extreme change in texture between peanut butter and almond butter. You want the stiffness and firmness of processed peanut butter.
- Natural peanut butter? Natural peanut butter doesn’t do great in this recipe because its too thin and doesn’t have enough body to stick together.
- Crunchy or Creamy? You can choose to do either crunchy or creamy peanut butter, whichever type you like better. The creamy is more traditional, but crunchy will work well and give more of a texture to it.
These answers will help when making this recipe and when wanting to change it up. 😉
How to Make No Bake PB Bars
PREP. Line a 9×9 inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil, set aside
PB LAYER. In a large microwave safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Add graham crackers, powdered sugar, 1 cup +2 tablespoons of peanut butter, vanilla, and salt. Mix until combined. Press mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan creating an even layer.
CHOCOLATE TOPPING. In a small microwave safe bowl add the chocolate chips and remaining 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Microwave to melt, then stir to smooth. Spread over top of the pressed mixture.
CHILL. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours. The bars should be firm.
SERVE. To cut, remove from the refrigerator and cut with a sharp chef’s knife. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Recipe FAQ + Tips
With or without chocolate topping? If you don’t want a chocolate topping you could do a peanut butter topping with peanut butter chips, or you can go without a topping entirely.
With graham crackers? Adding in graham cracker crumbs thickens and stabilizes the bars, otherwise you risk the peanut butter part of the bar being too soft. Add in some graham cracker crumbs that have been coated with butter.
How long to chill? You should let it set until the bars are firm, about 2 hours. You can always let them sit for longer before serving, but if you don’t let it sit for this long then you risk the bars falling apart when you try to eat them.
- Oatmeal? If you want more of a structure to your bars you can add in some rolled oats for a great texture as well. You want to avoid steel oats if you want to add in oatmeal, this won’t give the texture you want at all.
- Mix ins (chocolate chips)? You can easily mix in some chocolate chips to the peanut butter bars! Maybe try using mini chocolate chips, or even peanut butter chips!
To STORE no bake peanut butter bars, place them in an airtight container and place them in the fridge for about a week. You can eat them straight from the fridge or let them come to room temperature before you eat them.
To FREEZE these you can either wrap individual bars or the slab as a whole in plastic wrap before wrapping it a second time in foil and then placing it in a freezer safe bag. Then freeze them for up to 3 months. Let them defrost and come to room temperature before serving.
Other peanut butter desserts:
- 5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Peanut Butter Caramel Crunch Popcorn
- Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - (1 stick)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter - divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a 9x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil, set aside
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Add graham crackers, powdered sugar, 1 cup +2 tablespoons of peanut butter, vanilla, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Press mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan creating an even layer.
- In a small microwave safe bowl add the chocolate chips and remaining 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Microwave to melt, then stir to smooth. Spread over top of the pressed mixture.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours. The bars should be firm.
- To cut, remove from the refrigerator and cut with a sharp chef's knife. Serve cold or at room temperature.