Last week I had the opportunity to share this fun and festive patriotic funfetti sugar cookie cake over at Culinary Couture. Today I get to share the recipe here on the blog. If you’ve never made a cookie cake, you’re missing out! They’re really simple and easy! I’ve made an M&M chocolate chip cookie cake and a peanut butter cookie cake, they were both fantastic! This time around I thought I’d make a sugar cookie one, it’s perfect for the 4th of July!
I mentioned on Meriem’s blog that I made this sugar cookie cake along with these brownies and these snickerdoodle bars for a group of about 40 people. I had originally planned on making the sugar cookie dough into a pan of bars but I had used up all of my square pans. So I tossed the dough into my cookie cake pan and baked it. I turned out perfect! All that was left to do was whip up a small batch of frosting and pipe it around the edges once it was cool. Everyone loved this patriotic funfetti sugar cookie cake… I think you will too!
Patriotic Funfetti Sugar Cookie Cake Recipe
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter - room temperature
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/3 cup red, white and blue jimmies
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 ½ sticks) butter - room temperature
- 1 Tbsp milk or heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a giant round cookie pan (or an 8x8, 9x9, 9" pie pan) with parchment paper. Lightly spray the edges of the pan with baking spray, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and extracts until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add one egg, mix then add the egg yolk and mix until combined.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cornstarch. With mixing speed on low, gradually add to wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Remove bowl from stand and fold in the sprinkles. Pour batter into prepared pan. Smooth out and add a few more sprinkles on top. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top turns golden brown in color. Remove and place pan on cooling rack. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan and frosting.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter, vanilla, heavy cream and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add powdered sugar. Turn the speed up to high and beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Tint with food coloring if desired.
- Pipe frosting around the edges of the cake using a large decorating tip. If desired, using a smaller decorating tip, pipe lettering in the center of the cake. Garnish with additional sprinkles.
Recipe source: slightly adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction, Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars