This Healthy Baked Apple Oatmeal is hearty and it’s delicious! So easy to make, and perfect for a quick, healthy breakfast or snack throughout the week!
You’ll almost feel like you are eating a warm apple dessert with this crumble-esque dish. Take breakfast up a notch by also trying Banana Oatmeal Muffins, Oatmeal Cookie Granola, and Stovetop Cinnamon Apples.
A Family Fav – Baked Oatmeal
Oatmeal is deliciously hearty and healthy, that is why it is a go to breakfast in our home. Oats are among the healthiest grains on earth. They’re a gluten-free whole grain and a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants.
We love that there are so many different ways to change up the flavor profile! You could go extra fruity and add raisins or fresh berries. Try changing the fruit according to the seasons.
It is easy to throw together, and does not require many ingredients. Make some now and enjoy for the rest of the week!
Just a few tips and FAQ to help you out with the ingredients for this recipe…
- What kind of oats? Use old fashioned oats because they will give you the best texture. If need be you can specifically use “GF” oats, even though oats are already naturally gluten free.
- What kind of milk? You can use any type of milk: almond, oat, coconut, skim, whole, cashew, cow etc. Milk is just the yummy liquid that your oats will be sucking up as it is being baked. If you wanted you could probably use vanilla almond milk to give even more flavor to your oatmeal.
- Can you make this without eggs? The eggs in this recipe are working as a binder. If you don’t want to use eggs you can use other things such as maple syrup or applesauce.
- Best seasonings for baked oatmeal: cinnamon, vanilla, maple syrup etc. Basically anything sweet that you would normally eat in oatmeal is a great choice.
How to Make Baked Oatmeal
OATMEAL MIXTURE. In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, ½ cup nuts, baking powder, cornstarch or flour, cinnamon, apple pie spice, and salt. Mix until combined. Pour in the butter and stir. In small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the oat mixture. Using a rubber spatula, stir to evenly combine.
COMBINE. Place the apples in the bottom of 8×8-inch buttered baking dish. Pour the mixture over the apples. Spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of nuts over the top.
BAKE. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or bake immediately. Bake at 325°F for 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown and set. Cool for 20 minutes before serving (this will allow the juices to thicken)
Can it be left out overnight? It is not recommended to leave oatmeal out overnight because there is a possibility that you could get rancid oatmeal. It is especially a bad idea if you use milk in the oatmeal. Cover and put in the fridge as soon as possible.
How to make this healthy? You can include fruits, important grains (like flax seeds or chia seeds), or make low carb/fat substitutions. Overall this is a healthy breakfast option because it has lots of soluble fiber that will keep you full longer.
What to serve with: A tall glass of milk would be great with this, but for a large breakfast spread, baked oatmeal would pair well with…
Use different types of fruits to switch up the flavor. Fresh, frozen, or dried fruit all work great in baked oatmeal, to give texture and extra flavor. Make sure the total amount equals 2 ¼ cup. Here are some ideas:
- Apple: use cooked cinnamon apples and mix that in with your oatmeal.
- Blueberry: use fresh or frozen blueberries and layer them on the bottom of the dish and the top of the oatmeal.
- Peach: use canned peaches.
- Banana: use mashed or sliced bananas.
- Berry: berries are a great option for baked oatmeal because they can retain their shape pretty well, but they also release their juices into the oatmeal.
- Blueberry banana: use fresh/frozen blueberries and mashed bananas
Add Pumpkin: Put pumpkin puree in a cheese cloth and let all the extra moisture drain out. Then combine that with pumpkin pie spice in your oatmeal. OR you could just not use the pumpkin puree and rely on the use of pumpkin spice.
Make it vegan: make sure to use non-animal milk, such as almond or soy!
Make it gluten free: use certified gluten free oats.
How to Store
Store: Store it in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-5 days and reheat by adding a splash of milk before microwaving it. The extra milk will loosen it up and give some of the moisture back to it.
Freeze: You can freeze leftovers in mini muffin tins and then reheat them in the microwave.
Make ahead: Turn this baked oatmeal recipe into a make ahead dish by putting it all together the night before and keeping it in the fridge. When you are about to bake it go ahead and stir it up to adequately distribute the oats and milk after it’s been sitting for awhile.
For more similar recipes, try:
- Homemade Instant Oatmeal
- Oatmeal Cookie Granola
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- No Bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- The Best Apple Crisp
Baked Oatmeal Recipe
- 2 c old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 c brown sugar - packed
- 1 c toasted pecan - chopped and divided
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch - or 1 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter - melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 c milk - dairy or non dairy
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 apples - peeled and cut into 1.2 inch chunks (2 1/4 c)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease an 8x8-inch or a 9x9-inch baking dish with butter, set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, ½ cup nuts, baking powder, cornstarch or flour, cinnamon, apple pie spice, and salt. Mix until combined. Pour in the butter and stir.
- In small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the oat mixture, using a rubber spatula, stir to evenly combine.
- Place the apples in the bottom of the buttered baking dish. Pour the mixture over the apples. Spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of nuts over the top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or bake immediately.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown and set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving. This will allow the juices to thicken.