Tender, flavorful, melt in your mouth brisket in less than half the time using your Instant Pot! Crispy BBQ bits and all.
This Instant Pot Beef Brisket is perfect for a special family dinner or a tailgate party. Your family and friends will flip over this tasty dish. Try serving with Creamed Corn Casserole and Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes for meal perfection.
Delicious Brisket in the Instant Pot!
I love me some BBQ and brisket is definitely at the top of the list. But a good, tender, melt in your mouth brisket takes hours! Wrong!!
You can get that same tender brisket in less than half the time by using your handy dandy Instant Pot. Full of flavor and oh so much easier. You can even decide to make it halfway through the day and come out with a scrumptious piece of meat.
Plus, broiling the meat after smothering it in BBQ sauce you can achieve those crispy bits that just take this dish over the top. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
What meat is brisket? It is a cut from the breast or lower chest of beef or veal. It is typically very moist and tender.
How to season / marinade
- Overnight? When using a liquid or a dry rub marinating it overnight is much more effective. Especially when using a dry rub letting it sit overnight allows the salt to penetrate the meat.
- Dry rub? Use chili powder, onion and garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
- Sauce? Use BBQ sauce, you can make your own or use a store bought one
- Liquid smoke? 3-5 drops for 2 pounds of brisket
How long to cook vs how many pounds of brisket?
- 2-3 pounds= high for 55-60 minutes
- 4-5 pounds= high for 90 minutes
- 6-7pounds= high for 105-110 minutes
Cutting it? Don’t remove all the fat because it does give some of the important flavor! You can cut the brisket into smaller pieces if need be to fit it in the instant pot. Definitely slice against the grain to get the best flavor, and it will also help with chewing.
How to Make IP Brisket
Combine the ingredients for the rub in a small mixing bowl
Rub the mixture on the brisket
Marinate for at least 2 hours, up to 18 hours
In the bottom of the Instant Pot, add the onion, garlic, and chicken broth
Whisk to combine
Add the marinated brisket
Close lid and make sure the valve is in the sealing position
Select MANUAL mode (high pressure) for 75 minutes, then once cooked, allow the pressure to release naturally (this will take 15-20 minutes)
Remove the lid, then transfer the brisket to a foil-lined baking sheet
To make the BBQ sauce, select SAUTE mode
Add the ketchup, honey, apple cider,Dijon, and brown sugar
Let the BBQ sauce simmer until it thickens, about 10-12 minutes
Turn the oven on to broil
Brush the BBQ sauce over the brisket
Place in the oven and broil until the sauce begins to caramelize
Transfer to a cutting board and slice the brisket against the grain
Slow cooker directions
Sear the brisket in a pan before putting it in the crock-pot. Cook it on low for 6-8 hours and then let it sit on warm for 20 minutes.(3.5 pounds of brisket and 2-4 cups of liquid (broth or water))
Recipe FAQ + Tips
Storing / freezing / reheating? Brisket should be stored in the fridge. If you store it with gravy it will keep for two days in the fridge. If you store it without gravy it will last for up to 4 days. When freezing the brisket you can store it without gravy for 2 months and with gravy for 3 months.
What can you use this meat for? Other recipes? You can incorporate it into tacos or burritos as a delicious substitution. Make yummy brisket pizza, use it as a topping on baked potatoes, or use it in a quesadilla for some protein.
- Let the brisket sit before cutting it so that the meat sucks back up some of those yummy juices.
- Place the brisket fat side up in the pot
For more meat recipes, check out:
Instant Pot Beef Brisket Recipe
For the Rub
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp course salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 lb beef brisket - at least 2 inches thick
- 1/2 onion - sliced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/4 c low sodium chicken broth
- 1 c ketchup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- In a small mixing bowl combine the ingredients for the rub. Rub the mixture on the brisket, then let it marinate for at least 2 hours, up to 18 hours.
- In the bottom of the Instant Pot, add the onion, garlic, and chicken broth, whisk to combine.
- Add the marinated brisket. Close lid and make sure the valve is in the sealing position. Select MANUAL mode (high pressure) for 75 minutes, then once cooked, allow the pressure to release naturally (this will take 15-20 minutes).
- Remove the lid, then transfer the brisket to a foil-lined baking sheet.
- To make the BBQ sauce, select SAUTE mode. Add the ketchup, honey, apple cider,Dijon, and brown sugar. Let the BBQ sauce simmer until it thickens, about 10-12 minutes.
- Turn the oven on to broil.
- Brush the BBQ sauce over the brisket and place in the oven and broil until the sauce begins to caramelize.
- Transfer to a cutting board and slice the brisket against the grain and serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Inspired by Amy + Jacky