No Bake Grasshopper Pie
Fluffy and fast No Bake Grasshopper Pie is sweet and light. This classic mint and chocolate combination makes a refreshing treat on a warm day.
This crunchy chocolaty Oreo crust and a minty mousse filling, is a perfect treat for any mint-chocolate lover. For some other minty desserts be sure to try Mini Mint Oreo Cheesecakes, Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies, and Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies.
What is Grasshopper Pie?
The grasshopper pie is named after the drink, the “grasshopper”. It was green and minty and now since this pie has the same characteristics it makes sense to call it a grasshopper pie.
I am definitely a mint and chocolate kind of girl at heart. “Grasshopper” is my go to flavor combination and this fluffy pie definitely hits the spot.
The kids are always Oreo fans and this happy green color makes it even more enticing. While it is definitely kid friendly, it is a “scrape the pie-pan clean” kinda treat for all ages.
Beat cream cheese until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Add marshmallow fluff, salt, peppermint extract, and food coloring. Mix until combined.
In a separate mixing bowl whip heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
Using a rubber spatula, fold the freshly whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
Gently fold the chopped Oreo into the filling.
How to Make Grasshopper Pie
Crust: In a medium mixing bowl, melt the butter on half power. Add crushed Oreo and salt – toss to moisten crumbs. Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie dish or a 9-inch spring-form pan, set aside.
Filling: Pour filling into the prepared crust.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours, preferably 4 or more
Topping: When ready to serve, make the topping. Beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a bowl until stiff peaks form. Spread on top of chilled pie. Garnish with chopped Oreo.
What kind of crust?
- Homemade (or pre-made for shortcut)
- I’m pretty sure that you can buy pre-made Oreo crusts at a typical grocery store
- If you want to make your own crust that is totally an option and we recommend making an Oreo crust because it will complement the filling the best.
Toppings? A lot of people top this pie with chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, crushed Oreo, and/or whipped cream.
Can you make it without peppermint or without creme de menthe? Some people actually use a combo of mint flavored cookies and green food coloring. You don’t necessarily need to use the actual mint liqueur.
How to STORE and FREEZE? You can totally freeze grasshopper pie. Tightly wrap/cover the pie in foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then let it sit on the counter for awhile before cutting it.
What else you can use creme de menthe for? Try our:
For more pie recipes, check out:
- Chocolate coconut cream pie
- Classic apple pie
- Double chocolate french silk pie
- Heavenly lemon cream pie
Grasshopper Pie Recipe
For the crust:
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 package Oreos (cookies only, discard the cream), finely crushed
- pinch coarse kosher sea salt
For the filling:
- 16 oz. (2 blocks) plain cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. marshmallow fluff
- 1 tbsp. peppermint extract
- drop or two of green gel food coloring
- 1/4 tsp. coarse kosher sea salt
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 c. powdered sugar
- 4 mint Oreos, coarsely chopped
For the topping:
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 mint Oreos, roughly chopped
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the butter. Melt butter in microwave on half power. Add crushed Oreos and salt. Toss to moisten crumbs.
- Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie dish or a 9-inch springform pan, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add marshmallow fluff, salt, peppermint extract, and food coloring. Mix until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, using a stand mixer or a hand held mixer, whip heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold the freshly whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
- Genly fold the chopped Oreos into the filling. Pour into the prepared crust.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours, preferably 4 or more.
- When ready to serve, make the topping. In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Spread on top of chilled pie. Garnish with chopped Oreos. Serve cold.