Red, White, and Blue Fruit Salad
This red, white and blue fruit salad is perfect for summer picnics and celebrations! It’s a festive and fresh combination of fruit drizzled with a touch of honey citrus dressing.
When summer rolls around we usually pack up early in the morning and head out to the park. I’m always packing a variety of picnic-type foods, but the one thing that stays constant is the fruit! Our kids LOVE fruit, and so do I. It’s easy to prep, crazy delicious and super healthy. I thought with the Fourth of July fast approaching that it would be fun to make a festive fruit salad, one that would be the star of the show at your holiday picnic or BBQ.
This salad couldn’t be easier to make. Grab a few pints of berries, a small watermelon and some apples or pineapple. Rinse the berries, chop the watermelon and then slice up the apples or pineapple into 1/2-inch thick slices. Using a star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many stars as you can. I used a few different sizes (although I couldn’t find my littlest ones) which I thought looked really nice. Unlike most fruit salads, I decided to dress this one with a blend of honey citrus juice. It helped the berries shine and the apples from turning brown (not so much an issue if you’re working with pineapple). It’s totally optional but I thought it added a subtle hint of zest and sweetness without being overpowering.
We loved this red, white and blue fruit salad so much that we’ve made it a few times over the past month. It’s loaded with some of our favorite fruit and topped with a lovely light dressing. This fresh and vibrant salad is summertime in a bowl!!
- 4 apples or ½ a pineapple cut into ½-inch thick slices, then cut into stars with cookie cutters
- 1 small watermelon, cut into chunks
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- 3 tbsp. honey
- juice of 1 lime
- juice of 1 orange
- Rinse fruit if need, cut then toss the fruit together in a large bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the honey, orange juice and lime juice. Pour over the fruit, let stand for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple
DON’T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THESE 8 DELICIOUS PICNIC RECIPES:
- S’more Truffle Pops – Ashlee Marie
- Pesto Chicken Salad Sandwiches – Real Mom Kitchen
- Italian Orzo Pasta Salad – The Stay At Home Chef
- Turkey Club Picnic Sandwiches – The Baker Upstairs
- Macaroni Salad – Like Mother Like Daughter
- BBQ Chicken Salad Wraps – Summer Scraps
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad – Creations by Kara
- Slow Cooker Savory Baked Beans – 365 Days of Slow Cooking